This cabinet, which features scissor hinges, is not conducive to a typical frame and panel door, to my eye. And so I’ve been moving toward a design which minimizes the appearance of the frame work, first by putting it flush with the panel (the panel will not be recessed) and second by reducing the rails to slightly more than trim. However, now the rails may have been reduced their function must be transferred to another structural member. In this case I have replaced their function with three battens which will be mortised into the stiles.
The mortises will be blind, their shoulders will be offset from the panel to allow for expansion of the panel (it’s so dry in my shop that expansion is the only likely result of moving this cabinet to the bathroom), but the expansion room should be hidden in a gap between the panel and the stiles.
The panel thickness will total 3/4″, but I have made available only 1/2″ of space at the front of the cabinet. I will recess 1/4″ of the door into the cabinet, this will seat the door nicely and if all goes well eliminate the need for a catch. I’ve used this device on boxes with success and I’m hoping for a repeat performance here. If that fails then I will use a brass catch.
If there are any humidor builders looking in on this build they may have noticed the recessed inner case which is setback 1/4″ and know the reasoning behind it.
I’m starting with 10/4 stock rather than 4/4 because I would like to orient the grain so that the stiles are made from quarter sawn grain. I have learned over time that important structural members such as case surrounds, stiles, rails and legs should all be made with absolutely premium quality straight grained and quarter sawn material. One should not be looking for exciting grain in a table leg or a door stile.
Next up, I’m flattening the faces with my Trying plane. This is a quick process, made quicker with a reference beam I have on the end of my bench which I check for flatness every month or so. I maintain it flat and true to .001″ and it makes for a quick check eliminating the need for winding sticks when making small parts.
I followed up by surfacing these with the Kanna to remove any tear out a problem which can present itself commonly with quarter sawn material. I take see through shavings with a very tight set chip breaker to eliminate tear out with my Kanna and the stiles absolutely glow.
This post will be slightly light on photos. I’ve worked through the majority of the details on this door and so on the second half I will be certain to detail the mortising and grooving processes. The right side stile is completed and with that having been completed it should begin to reveal my intentions with this door. The first door is on the left and awaits a handle design and application. Both are enjoyable to view, but I feel the second door will hopefully eclipse the first…..if not I’ll simply make a duplicate of the first and have a new decoration for around the shop, hehe.
And the backside should reveal exactly how the battens support the door.
Now some of you may be looking in and wondering exactly how I intend to handle the rails. I will reveal this in my next post.
I hope you have enjoyed and welcome questions and comments.