Forum

Adopted a sumitsubo

Adopted a sumitsubo  

RSS

johnwhitley
(@johnwhitley)
Member Moderator
14/05/2018 5:45 pm  

Having finally gotten a good sense of the use, care, and feeding of sumitsubo, I adopted this one via eBay, est. made in the 1920s:

This is a fairly traditional design, with a wave and turtle motif in the carving.  Turtle detail:

bpholcombe
(@bpholcombe)
Grand Poobah Admin
14/05/2018 6:07 pm  

John, very much looking forward to seeing the sumitsubo!  Thanks for posting a topic, I'm still working out the details of moderation.  

I reduced the number of posts needing approval per new user to one from five (default setting).  

I also tried to edit the post to show the photos, but no such luck.

ReplyQuote
johnwhitley
(@johnwhitley)
Member Moderator
14/05/2018 6:26 pm  

Fixed.  Dropbox hosted images need to remove the "?dl=0" or "?raw=1" query suffix from the share link and change the domain to "dl.dropboxusercontent.com".  That produces a raw URL that this forum's software will display.

ReplyQuote
johnwhitley
(@johnwhitley)
Member Moderator
14/05/2018 6:37 pm  

Back to the sumitsubo, this one came (and was properly photographed and documented) without a pin.  So I'll need to fabricate and fit a suitable replacement.  I'm thinking a steel rod with a small wooden knob.  Friction fit would be simple or else I might embed a small disc magnet in the closed-bore end.  I'm not sure whether that's a brilliant idea, or heresy...

ReplyQuote
bpholcombe
(@bpholcombe)
Grand Poobah Admin
14/05/2018 9:31 pm  

Nice example, especially considering the age.  It's looking pretty good for being nearly 100 years on at this point.

I think a friction fit pin is probably best.

Glad to hear that the linking is fixed or wasn't really problematic.  I am working on the documentation, the company that creates this software is Gvectors and they have a forum.  So I'm waiting for approval on my post on their forum.

https://gvectors.com/forum/general-questions/

ReplyQuote
bpholcombe
(@bpholcombe)
Grand Poobah Admin
15/05/2018 7:32 am  

Got the documentation 

wpForo Documentation

ReplyQuote
Chris Pyle
(@chris-pyle)
Collector of Dust
15/05/2018 8:49 am  

Just set-up two factor auth and finally making a post.  I hope you don't mind if i test picture posting here?  Please delete this post if you only want info about the sumitsubo.

Test pic from flickr: 

[url=

%5B/img%5D%5B/url%5D">Hitachi CB75

ReplyQuote
bpholcombe
(@bpholcombe)
Grand Poobah Admin
15/05/2018 8:11 pm  

Hi Chris!  Glad to see you over here as well.  Shop is looking great.

ReplyQuote
Chris Pyle
(@chris-pyle)
Collector of Dust
15/05/2018 10:04 pm  

Thanks Brian, good to be over here. I'm also unable to edit my previous post. I was going to strip out the unneeded URL tags?  Maybe I just need to wait a bit before the edit button shows up

ReplyQuote
bpholcombe
(@bpholcombe)
Grand Poobah Admin
16/05/2018 10:16 pm  

Once you have a few posts those features will populate.  It's a measure to prevent spam.

ReplyQuote
Share: