Forum

Finished mahogany daybed  

RSS

bpholcombe
(@bpholcombe)
Grand Poobah Admin
18/05/2018 9:09 am  

I'll blog about this one, so I won't detail the build extensively here but I wanted to show some completed work.

This one I recently completed. Happy with how it turned out.  First time cutting the round splicing joints and planning in blind chamfers which is something I don't normally do.  

This joint is not totally seated in the rail, I left it just sitting there so I can remove it before I move the bed into place at the client's place.

I changed my approach on detailing the end grain for this large leg and made longer grooved scallops in a less random pattern.

Scotty.com liked
ReplyQuote
johnwhitley
(@johnwhitley)
Member Moderator
19/05/2018 3:01 pm  

I really like the scalloped end grain.  Texturing as a design element has been lurking in the back of my mind for a while now as something I want to start applying in my work. But those thoughts have centered around face surfacing tools such as a texturing adze. So it's nice to see a texturing well-applied to end grain.

Brian, how did you do the texturing?  A carving gouge?

Scotty.com liked
ReplyQuote
bpholcombe
(@bpholcombe)
Grand Poobah Admin
19/05/2018 3:26 pm  

Thanks John!  I do the texturing with a carving gouge.  I really enjoy texturing as well but it does conflict with my other values at times.  I've done it on chair seats, for instance, and the seat will tearout too much at the end of the cut, which causes me just to smooth the entire seat again.

Mahogany really takes the texturing well.

ReplyQuote
Share: