Tool Setup and Technique Courses
- Western Tool Setup and Use – $325
- Setup and use of Stanley type (Lie Nielsen, Veritas, etc) planes.
- Setup and use of traditional wooden planes, such as the try plane, coffin smoother and traditional jack plane
- Blade setup and sharpening demonstrated. Types of sharpening explained and demonstrated
- Use of a dry grinder with CBN wheel demonstrated.
- Hand Method of sharpening demonstrated.
- Japanese Tool Setup and Use – $520
- Explanation of how and why of Japanese tools
- Setup new kanna, including correctly bedding the blade and setting sub blade
- Ura-Dashi explained and demonstrated
- Sharpening by hand demonstrated
- Chisel handle setup
- Chisel back (ura) flattening
- Natural stones (Tennen Toishi) explained and demonstrated.
- Mortise and Tenon Joinery by Hand – $320
- Dovetail Joinery by Hand – $320
- Hand Planing (material stock preparation) – $320
Furniture Building Courses
The furniture building courses take a project from prepped material (student supplied) through to a complete projected. Students will learn to approach the subject from a hand-tool user perspective understanding how to use marking gauges, how to layout hand-prepped material and how to cut and fit joinery by hand.
- Build a short stool with both Dovetail and Mortise and Tenon joinery – $1200 (recommended 2 days)
Past Student Projects:
Wall Mounted Cabinets in Oak and Beech by Prashun Patel